French Onion Soup
Cooking Info- French onion soup is a type of soup based on a meat stock and caramelized onions, bread croutons and cheese. Although of ancient origin and traditionally served also for New Years Eve
- 5-large white onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 60 gr (2.16 oz) unsalted butter
- 6 litre ( 25 cups) dark beef stock
- 1 litre ( 4 ¼ cups)chicken stock
- 500 ml ( 2 cup) dry white wine
- 250 ml ( 1 cup) organic apple cider vinegar
- 5 gr ( ½ oz) whole mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 2 sprig of fresh thyme
- 2 fresh bay leaf
- 100 ml (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 6 pinch smoked paprika
- 10 slices of French Baguette
- 10 slices of Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 500gr (2 cups) shredded Gruyere (Grand Trunk from StoneTown cheese Ontario Canada).
- Salt and pepper to taste
PREP TIME: 20 MIN
COOK: 1 HR 15 MIN
READY IN: 1 HR 30 MIN
- In a wide pot with a thick bottom met the butter.
- Add the thinly sliced onions and whole mustard seeds, smoked paprika and let it caramelized with a pinch of salt.
- Add fresh bay leaf and thyme and deglaze with apple cider vinegar and Worcestershire.
- After the vinegar and Worcestershire are reduced add the wine and allow the alcohol to evaporate.
- Add the beef stock and chicken stock and bring it to a boil and allow to cook for approximately one hour.
- Remove the pot from the stove, remove the thyme sprig and bay leaf and adjust seasoning.
- Preheat your oven to broil
- Toast lightly your bread in the oven on both sides; rub the garlic clove on the toasted bread and drizzle with olive oil.
- Pour the onion soup in ovenproof onion soup caps add the garlic scented toasted bread, top with shredded Grand trunk and slices of Gruyere.
- 10- Bake in the oven until golden brown and serve.
Wine Pairing- Pinot Noir
Juice Pairing- Ginger Spice
“Share & Share” — “Appreciate you sharing our recipe below”
Explore your passion for life
Chef Dario Tomaselli and Rich Life Strategist Anita Heidema share a common goal. To live the rest of their days passionately in all ways important to them.
Follow their journey and learn more…..