- 1 kg mixed tomatoes
- 400 grams Rustic Sourdough or Ciabatta bread toasted
- 200 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion finely sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Mustard (optional)
- 100 ml red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 500 grams English cucumber, peeled and deseeded
- 1 head of tender leaf lettuce (lolo rossa best) washed
- Fresh picked basil
- Cut the tomatoes in half if small otherwise in quarter, season with salt pepper and one clove of garlic thinly sliced and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut the bread in 2 cm slices and bake until golden brown. When bread is toasted rub with the other garlic clove on both size and cut in medium cubes and set aside.
- In a large salad bowl combine the cucumber cut in medium size cubes the red onions the tomatoes the fresh basil the garlic flavour bread cubes and the lettuce.
- Dress with extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar, adjust the seasoning and serve.