- Food mill or Food processor
- 1 kg fresh vine ripe tomatoes
- 150 grams day old dry Italian bread
- 125 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 large bunch of basil (tight with butcher string like a spice bag)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the tomatoes, cut them in quarters and remove the seeds.
- In a saucepan put the tomatoes and cook them on a low heat for about 15 to 20 minutes or until soft.
- Pass the tomatoes to a food mill and transfer to a clean pot.
- Add the toasted stale bread with the tomato puree the garlic thinly sliced and the basil bunch made into and cook at low temperature until the mixture is well emulsified by adding half of the olive oil and the bread is completely dissolved. The mixture at this point should be as PAPPA consistency.
- Remove the basil bunch season with salt and pepper if needed and finish by emulsifying the remaining olive oil.
- Serve in a bowl with some toasted bread drizzle with olive oil and basil.
- NOTES This soup can be served hot or warm.