- 2 lbs whole fish, cleaned (descaled)
- 2 kg coarse kosher salt
- 4 egg whites
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 3 sprigs of rosemary
- 2 sprigs of basil
- 2 sprigs of parsley
- 1 lemon zest, grated
- Preheat oven at 400 degrees F.
- Clean the fish properly by removing the interior and running under cold water, make sure the fish is completely dry.
- Finely chopped all the aromatic herbs and transfer to a bowl, add the finely minced garlic and lemon zest.
- Whip the egg whites in a very clean bowl until obtaining stiff pick consistency.
- Add the fresh herbs mixture (but one teaspoon to season in the cavity of the fish) and the coarse salt.
- In a baking tray lined with parchment paper spread a small amount of the salt egg white mixture about 1 cm thick, to create a base for the fish.
- Cover the fish with the remaining of the salt egg whites mixture, press it gently allowing the mixture to create a canvas resembling the shape of the fish. Bake for 20 minutes.
- After is cooked remove it from the oven let it rest for 5 minutes and break with a mallet the salt crust and remove all the salt. Clean the fish and serve.