Preserving and Pickling Recipes
Adds flavours to your meals and easy to do.
By Anita Heidema & Chef Dario Tomaselli
Preserving and picking is a fun thing to do together this time of year. We, at Passion Is Cooking Fridge Feasts sustainable cooking series, love to create new recipe with what we have in the garden and share. But why?
For us it is long time traditions carried on and having our creations not oxide and live like a time capsule on our shelves for 12 months brings a joy to our hearts and taste buds.
Bread and Butter Pickle chef recipe below….
We decide to do a survey and ask others with they felt canning and preserving did for them. Here are our answers below.
- Add unique flavours to our meals we cannot get in a grocery store. Fun to experiment and try different things.
- Sustainability- All fruits and vegetables (bruised or not) can be made into something with no waste. Buy local.
- Know what is in your food with home cooking and preserving.
- Always have deliciousness on hand.
- Save the flavour and nutritional value in its time. No chemicals and preservatives.
- Family traditions you can do together and spend time together.
- It takes a farmer/ home gardener months to create one piece of fruit or vegetable. Respect that and have no waste.
- Get to share with friends and family.
- Personal satisfaction and self reliance.
Whether it is for just quarantine cooking of 2020 or that you want to start a sustainable live from now forward it is good to get some great recipes to work with.
In this weeks blog we share our Bread and Butter Pickles recipe you make with those delicious local cucumbers from your local farm or home gardens.
Bread & Butter Pickles Recipe
Full Recipe with Serving Adjustments here.
- 2 pcs large pickling cucumber (washed and Scrubbed)
- 25 gr Red Bell Peppers cut into 1 cm thick slices
- 50 gr cooking onions
- 20 gr kosher salt
- 250 ml Apple cider vinegar
- 200 gr sugar
- 2 gr yellow mustard seeds
- 1 gr fennel seed
- ½ gr Red Pepper flakes
- ½ gr ground cloves
- 1 500 ml mason jar with lid (sterilized in boiling water)
- Cut the cucumber, bell peppers and onions into 1 cm thick slices.
- Combine Vegetables and salt in a medium size bowl, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour drain excess liquid from the vegetables and rinse them in cold running water and pat them dry on a clean cloth.
- Combine the vinegar and sugar in a pot over medium heat making sugar as dissolved. Add the mustard seed, fennel seed, red pepper flakes and ground cloves and bring it to a boil.
- Add the reserve vegetables and cook for 3 more minutes until fully heated through.
- Add the pickles into the 500 ml sterilized glass jar and let them pickle for 4 hours before serving.
Come sign up for our weekly newsletter What’s Stirring to be in the know for cooking tips, recipes, travel ideas, and updates for our International Dinner Club including when our next culinary retreat to Italy will be launched for 2021.
Subscribe to our Youtube channel for recipes, talks, tips and more!