- 700 grams Brussels sprout (trimmed and cut in half lengthwise)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic thinly sliced
- 100 grams smoked pancetta (or regular smoky bacon)
- 1 white onion thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 0.5 lemon zest and juice
- 1 red chili
- 2 tbsp dark maple syrup
- 2 grams mustard seeds
- Salt Pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven at 450.
- Mix your brussel sprouts with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper and spread in a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, roast them for approximately 10 minutes (until golden brown but still crunchy)
- In a separate pan melt the smoked pancetta cut into small dice and render until golden brown. Add the mustard seeds, the chili, sliced onions and sliced garlic, cook gently at medium heat until obtaining a lovely umber color (not dark).
- Toss the roasted brussel sprout with the onion mix and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add the maple syrup and the fresh thyme leaves and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning and serve.